Re: The Ghosts of e-mails past, present and yet to come

Luis Nadeau ()
Thu, 16 January 1997 1:29 PM

Terry wrote:

>Message text written by j.r.anderson
>>I imagine that in most
>countries you will never have to pay for a drink again, Steve!<
>
>I am sure that all us new to the list were amazed and grateful that it
>existed. Suddenly there were people around the world with widely ranging
>views whose expertise led to discussion and cross fertilisation of ideas.
>
>It was exciting and stimulating. Not only am I grateful to Steve but to
>the group (?) whostarted the list.
>
>Last year, when it appeared that Steve ministrations were about to be lost
>to us, Luis suggested that we should show our appreciation by sending
>Steve an alternative process print.
>
>Can I repeat Luis's suggestion.

You beat me to it this time Terry. I have known for some time about this,
ahem, Canadian takeover;-) and meant to suggest again that, as a going-away
present, we should make an effort to send Steve a fine SPECIMEN PHOTOGRAPH,
clearly identified as such on the Customs form, so it gets to him without
extra charge. It is probably not a good idea to put words like "platinum"
on a Customs form...

Of course, those who write/publish books know what they can send...

Now for the record, when Steve and Gord nop51076@mail.telepac.pt (the new listowner and former
student of mine) approached me back in late 1993 or early 1994 about this
new list, I was less than optimistic about its success. This is because I
was then new to the net and did not understand how it worked. There were
only a few Usenet newsgroups about photography back then and there was
little traffic on them so I thought something as specialized as
non-silver/older processes would not generate enough traffic to make it
worthwhile. Was I wrong!

This is what makes the net so popular. Whether we live in the boondocks of
Eastern Canada, or in Paris, NY or London, we can finally meet everyday and
discuss something very few people in our immediate surrounding can
understand, let alone appreciate. As I update my books I mention this list
and its archives as a source of up-to-the-minute information and as a place
where lots of new ideas are discussed.

Now let's hope Gord will have enough patience to put up with us for a few
years:-)

Luis Nadeau
nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada