Re: Sandorac/Sandarac

Judy Seigel ()
Sat, 18 January 1997 6:40 PM

> On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Per Volledal wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I am reading the catalog from Artcrafr Chemicals Inc. The have listed Gum
> > Arabic - solid, and something called Gum Sandorac.
> >
> > What is Gum Sandorac? If it is something different from gum arabic, what is
> > the use of this stuff when it comes to gum printing?

Dept. of Amplification: Happened upon an old message from Rae Adams --
a formula for collodion plates Jeffrey.D.Mathias@worldnet.att.net (via John Coffer) using Sandorac, which
might actually be sandarac, and possibly usable as varnish:

Ethyl alcohol 220ml
sandorac 28g
lavender oil 22.5 ml
water 10 drops
Mix. Add more water if nec. Keep capped when not in use.

Since Artcraft supplies collodion photogs, it figures.

Judy