Re: Sandorac/Sandarac

Jeffrey D. Mathias ()
Sat, 18 January 1997 8:56 PM

Judy Seigel wrote:

> > On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Per Volledal wrote:

..
> > > What is Gum Sandorac? If it is something different from gum arabic, what is
> > > the use of this stuff when it comes to gum printing?
>
> Dept. of Amplification: Happened upon an old message from Rae Adams --
> a formula for collodion plates 101522.2625@compuserve.com (via John Coffer) using Sandorac, which
> might actually be sandarac, and possibly usable as varnish:
>
> Ethyl alcohol 220ml
> sandorac 28g
> lavender oil 22.5 ml
> water 10 drops
> Mix. Add more water if nec. Keep capped when not in use.

If this may be of some help. From my personal y ofcop "The Silver
Sunbeam" by J. Towler, M.D.

"...
Wet Collodion Process
..
Tenth Operation.
.."
[last formula]
"Formula.
The following varnish is used on the cold plate, is very hard when dry,
and is not softened at a high temperature when printing.

Gum sandarac 4 ounces
Oil of lanvender 3 ounces
Alcohol 28 ounces
Chloroform 5 drachms

Digest, dissolve, and decant as usual.

The positiv print, denominated an ambrotype, is now finished. ..."

Jeff