Re: Names, names...

John Rudiak ()
Wed, 22 January 1997 5:01 PM

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Jack Fulton wrote:

> Okay mon 2 centimes.
> We've always taught IT as non-silver until we found some processes
> contained silver but WE still called it 'non-Ag'.
> I didn't teach it.
> Now, I do teach a course entitled Materials & Methods or is it Methods
> and Materials. It does cover salt, VDB, cyan, Polaroid, emulsion peel,
> montage, liquid emulsion though I often don't cover the Cyan and VDB due
> it being taught in the non-silver class and we don't have enough room
> for all those maddened chemists.
> This is where I came up w/"Historical" processes. My feeling is that
> modernity lasted until Ansel Adams & then Minor White opened our
> department in 1946. Mr. Herschel came up w/cyanotype in a flash whilst
> also understanding Fox Talbot's process. A few used this blue image but
> it soon fell from popularity until resurrected in the late 1800's.
> "History" repeats itself.
> Sooo, I'd like the medium to be put into categories like "Historical'
> and 'Contemporary Useage and Strategy.'
> Sort of divides the centuries, puts an emphasis on how important history
> 0is wizard@laplaza.org (particularly to youth as students) and gives full acceptance of
++> "anything goes" of today.
> Well, more than 2 cents =85 maybe a nickel.
> Jack
>=20
0
two more cents, now we have seven. How about renaissance processes?
According to the dictionary it not only relates to a specific period in
art, somewhat before the processes we are concerned with, but also relates
to a rebirth, and a transition from ancient to modern ideas. Seems to
just about cover what we,re talking about here, and has a good, marketable
ring to it. I look forward to seeing what this starts.

John ++