Re: Pin holes in my litho

John Rudiak ()
Wed, 22 January 1997 5:08 PM

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Tom Ferguson wrote:

> Are you sure your problem is "pinholes"?? I had this problem with all
> litho films, until I figured out that what I was seeing was dust spots.
> Dust settles on the film before or during exposure, resulting in unexposed
> (clear) spots. Litho films seems a LOT more dust prone (static electricity
> ??), and because I share my darkroom with the washer and (EVIL) dryer, I
> finaly had to give up on litho films. Also, I could never get them (litho
> type films developed in HC-110) to give decent contrast in both the
> highlights and shadows on the same neg. Look to see mdmuir@nfinity.com (under magnification)
> if you "pinholes" have shapes, which could indicate dust.

I believe you are correct in this, as it mirrors my experience. The clue
for me was that as my exposures incresed beyound the minumum, as in doing
real "litho" work, the pinholes diminished significantly. Apparantly a
lot more light was either piping through the emulsion, or just going
through the dust.