Re: Making Digital Negatives

Jeffrey D. Mathias ( Jeffrey.D.Mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 24 January 1997 2:58 AM

Stephen Edgar wrote:

> I'm keen to have a go at Platinum printing, ...
>
> I'm not really that keen on darkroom work and I'd prefer to get out into
> the sunlight to try platinum printing !
>
> I'd appreciate any help or comments

Steven,

If you ever expect to produce a quality platinum print, you better be
ready to do a lot of darkroom work. You will have to master getting the
right negatives in order to get a great print. And, don't think you can
work with platinum coatings without a safe light. Incadesent light WILL
fog the coating; recommended is a sodium vapor safelight. If you are
determined in what you say, then I reccommend that you consider
polaroid. Truely then you can stay in the sun. As for anyone who
believes that platinum/palladium prints can be made haphazardly and with
shortcuts, I beg them please to save these precious metals for those who
wish to make fine prints.

Jeff