Re: Making Digital Negatives

John Rudiak ( wizard@laplaza.org)
Fri, 24 January 1997 10:03 AM

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Jonathon Russell wrote:

> Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:
> > And, don't think you can
> > work with platinum coatings without a safe light. Incadesent light WILL
> > fog the coating; recommended is a sodium vapor safelight.
>
> Jeff,
> I have coated Platinum for years using a 60 watt light bulb
> approximately 5 feet away from the paper that I am coating and have
> never experienced fogging.
> I am curious as to what others on the list have found from coating in
> "normal" room light.
>
> Cheers to All,
> Jonathon Russell

I coat my paper under the light of a 60 watt incandescent bulb two feet
from the surface of the paper. Many of my negatives have a rubylith "mat"
around them to make a clean edge and not show brush marks. Naturally the
coated area around the print is larger than the image, and it clears paper
white, showing no evidence of fog. Also, to address the sub-threshold
exposure question, the prints and step tablets show clean whites also
where they should be. Maybe something else is amiss with Jeff's
procedure. Oh , and I leave the other incandescents on in the darkroom
while coating.

John