[Fwd: Re: "Reply problem"]

Thommic (Thommic@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 20:17:27 -0800

You're right. Using "Forward" works.
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 97 15:43:10 +0000
From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <holtslander@sask.usask.ca>
Subject: Re: "Reply problem"
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"

Hi all:

The solution to the reply problem is to FORWARD a message back to the
list, rather than replying.

The reply "problem" is caused by the mail program (mailserv) that runs the
list at its new site, constructs the header differently than the old
program (listproc).

The listproc program created a special "reply-to" header line with the
list's address and the standard "from" header line with the address of the
messages sender. Most email programs would look at the reply-to address
and use it to set up a message reply.

The mailserv program does not create a "reply-to" header, so your email
program will use the "from" address ie the address of the sender to set up
a reply address.

Most email programs do not display the complete header - its long
and most of its contents are irrelevent to most people. Most email
programs allow you to display the complete header if you want.

My apologies go out to everyone on the list for forcing them to contend
with the mailserv program, which is not nearly as sophisticated and the
listproc program. However it was the only option available to me. The
alternative would be completely abandoning the alt-photo-process list. I
think that would have been more inconvenient.

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander 112 Science Place
HOLTSLANDER@SKYFOX.USASK.CA Department of Biology
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan