Re: Charles E. Fairman

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:22:54 -0500 (EST)

Dear folks,

As friend Panix handles these things, a reply to the list for this letter
(for instance) is easier with "reply" than "forward." If I had left the
"reply" address set by Panix unaltered, it would have arrived to us all,
addressed "Fontpro@usa.net" and I imagine we could have stood up under the
strain. But lest anyone think they were reading someone else's mail, I
cut the "to" line (command K on creaky old Pine) and cut the "cc" line
(same command), then pasted it on the "To" line (command U, for unCut).

Trying to reply with the "Forward" function, I found I had to insert the
address manually, I mean spell it, which is a task fraught, especially
with having to chose the number of sasks in there, which is one too many
decisions for a precisionist.

MORE IMPORTANT AND SERIOUS, and I mean this, mark my words: a forwarded
letter doesn't get those sideways carets (>, >> and >>>) to mark you said,
I said, you said, and I say now, which are so crucial and unique to e-mail
communication and clarity (and which I miss so much replying to a letter
snail). Notice that in the letter below, Macy's quote of my e-mail has
double >>s, her comment in reply has a single >, and my addition is
immediately apparent as the line with no symbol..

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 Fontpro@usa.net wrote:

> Dear Judy,
>
> >The brush referred to, which is four inches in
> >width, cost in New York $2.50, and although I have used it for more than
> >four years it is apparently as good as new and I have never known a hair
> >to shed...."
>
> Do you have an 800 number for that store? ;)
>
> Macy Garcia

Oh Macy, don't we wish. I am going to ask my brusherer about that (New
York Central Artists Materials), but I know the "good" hake brush costs
$70 (yes seventy dollars). Bas said last year his cost a hundred dollars
ten years ago, but he just puts it in a little flour & water. Paint and
dichromate are not so kind, and since I need at least three spreaders ....
well,

Sigh again,

Judy