Re: No Digest

Robert Hudyma (rhudyma@netcom.ca)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:00:08 -0500

At 10:31 AM 1/30/97 -0800, Grant Wilson wrote:

>I have so very much enjoyed the alternative process digest.

I think that many of us have felt the same way. I too was surprised to
see the digest mode was no longer available.

>Since it is no
>longer available, however, and since my software will not sort the massive
>amount of traffic the list generates into a separate mailbox, I have no
>choice but to unsubscribe.

Not necessairly. In my case I upgraded my e-mail software to a newer version
which has a filter function that automatically sorts out the mail coming in.
If you are running on a Mac or Windows environment, the most up-to-date
versions
of Eudora Pro and Eudora Lite have the filter function which neatly sorts
out and
categorizes all the incoming mail. If you are running on another platform
like
Unix---other options are available. For those people using Compuserve or
AOL, you
unfortunately you are locked into a proprietary solution and you need to
deal with
the messages manually. (...and remember: "There are always options!" -Mr.
Spock)

New versions of Eudora can be downloaded from: www.qualcomm.com. It took
me less than an hour to download, install and configure the new version of
Eudora, I only which I had done it six months ago!

> I consider the transition to the current method
> of distribution to be a particularly poor policy decision on somebody's
part.

I think that the best was done by both Steve and now Gord who have spent
*countless* hours of *volunteer* time and have shared their respective
university's
resources freely. If you can offer a better solution I am sure a lot of
participants on the list would welcome it. I for one am thankful that Gord
has been so gracious
and generous to continue with the list and offer it to the benefit of us all.

>Thanks for the entry-level education in alternative processes.

I for one plan to continue my education and participation, here, in this
forum, which
I find is a refreshing change from the ABC vs DEF vs GHI
brandname---and---my lens is
better than your lens, wars that saturate the rec.photo forums on the internet
newsgroups today.

Three cheers for Steve and Gord.

Robert Hudyma, e-mail: rhudyma@netcom.ca or rhudyma@aol.com
Semi-Tech Corporation, 131 McNabb Street Markham Ontario Canada L3R 5V7
Phone: (905) 475-2670 ext: 228