Re: Polaroid Pos/Neg film/Zone System

Jeffrey D. Mathias (Jeffrey.D.Mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:04:02 -0800

Cor Breukel wrote:

> To save a bit of money: instead of taking so much of sheet film, could one
> take pieces of the same film as 35 mm, but then expose and process as one
> is planning to do for sheetfilm (I am planning to process in tubes)

Cor,
Since you are serious about applying the Zone System, I suggest that
accuracy is of paramount importance. I believe that beter results will
be obtained by tray processing useing a temperature compensating timer.
It is true that the matrix I described can be done on any size film.
However, the most important aspect is to be able to study the
densities. This could be quite difficult for small negatives and
prints. 8x10 might be best, but due to cost 4x5 may be acceptable.
Before one can master any process, I believe that they must be able to
look at a subject and have a good idea of how the negative and the print
will look. The matrix is only a tool which can save years of trail and
error experience.

Jeff