Re: Palladio users need not apply

George L Smyth (GLSmyth@ari.net)
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 19:54:06 -0500

Eric J. Neilsen wrote:

> Sal, Palladio has enabled many to produce platinum/palladium prints over
> the years. As my years involved in platinum/palladium (NOBLE PRINTING),
> have shown me, the printers in this medium take great pride in the ablity
> to make beautiful images. The ability to fully understand the process and
> all of it's nuances, can only come from the handcoating experience.

etc.

To throw in my nickle's worth, I think that this is nonsense. Palladio
has provided a platform for individuals to express themselves. IMO, I
find it somewhat snobbish to feel that one must coat their own paper to
be considered able to contribute to this genre. Certainly, Palladio is
not everyone's choice, but I feel that they contribute a great deal to
those who do not wish to coat their own. This thinking is akin to the
thinking that only "real" photographers do their own darkroom work.
This would certainly leave out many of the greats, who might have
floundered if they had had to spend time in the darkroom as opposed to
taking pictures.

All said, I'm surprised some people require such a narrow definition.

george

--
 Handmade Photographic Images
  http://www2.ari.net/glsmyth/