Re: Paper,e.g.,Cranes parchmont/ment

Jeffrey D. Mathias (Jeffrey.D.Mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:31:02 -0800

Terry King wrote:

> Message text written by Judy Seigel
> >I meant only to verify that this Cranes Parchment
> (or "Cover") is indeed the paper at issue and to inquire if there are any
> comments on its use and why.
>
> Thanks,<
>
> I would like to climb on Judy's band wagon here. People seem to use
> Cranes' Cover' because somebody in print said that they should. TKOL
> recommends Cranes Kid Finish. Sounds like parchment.

> It is better to experiment with a few good quality papers to see which
> paper is best for your methods and working conditions.

Terry,

How correct you are.

Judy,

The Crane's Kid finish is a nice surface for a paper, but the term "kid"
refers to the surface not the paper type. "Parchment" and "cover" are
Crane paper types. They have no product called "parchmont".

I have been checking out Crane papers for over a decade. They make a
line of papers they call Crane Business Papers. They cut these as
stationary, envelopes, and flat papers (full sheets). The flat papers
include:
Crane's Bond (10 varieties)
Crane's Crest (21 varieties)
Crane's Distaff Linen (22 varieties)
Crane's Parchment (13 varieties)

Varieties include different weights, surfaces, and colors. Many of
these are excelent for Pt/Pd printing.

In addition to these, they make several "cover" papers which are
generally thicker (heavier) than these other papers. One of these
thicker papers is called "Parchment Business Card Stock". [I believe
that this is the base paper Dick Arentz had Crane put a better sizing on
and is the one sold by B&S. They also make a Flouresent White version,
but I get better Pt/Pd results on the natural colored B&S version.
Also, I have obtained successful results by useing Sprint Print
Brightening Solution to change the color to white.]

So to give a simple answer: Crane's "Parchment", "Cover", and "Parchment
Business Card Stock" are different papers.

I would suggest requesting a swatchbook from a good distributor or from
Crane directly. I make small test prints on the swatches, and then try
to get larger samples of the ones that look promising. Remember to try
both sides of the paper (one side often times works better.)

Jeff