Re: Handcoated vs Palladio

Eric J. Neilsen (ejnasn@laplaza.org)
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:09:30 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Sal Mancini wrote:

> DKenn473@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 97-02-11 13:29:43 EST, you write:
> >
> > > Myself being an expert on Palladio
> > > printing I wonder if Mr Kennedy would ber interested in a "Pepsi
> > > Challenge", so to speak.
> > >
> > This all gets down to a matter of personal taste. How could one possible do
(BIG SNIP>

> The reason for my original post on this subject was the comment
> "Palladio users need not apply." I felt it was an unfair derogatory
> comment made by a person who had never used Palladio paper and
> certainly not explored its possibilities........

Sal , Why should I use and or promote a product that I can create myself?
The state was not unfair. What does the average Palladio user know of its
contents? Who much platinum or palladiumis in the paper. What you seem
to miss is that there is no reason to use the product if I can achieve all
that you claim that Palladio can. Rich Blacks??? hand coated sure can.
Rich Browns?? handcoated sure can. Gold Chloride in the sensitizer??
Don't know if Palladio does or can.

...........> I do not think that all the
> handcoaters of the world should stop what they are doing and use only
> our paper. If doing the handcoating brings you an undescribable joy
> that the image by itself does not, then by all means continue. If you
> are like me and just can't wait to see what that particular photograph
> you just shot is going to look like on pt/pd , you may want to at
> least look into Palladio.

Just how long do you think it takes to coat a piece of paper? My life is
not so fast paced and I'm not in need of immediate gradification that an
hour or two will deprive me of the trill of the image.

> The only limitation you really have is the
> paper base, aside from that you'll find your creative juices flowing
> just fine. I feel that Palladio fills a valid and necessary niche for
> beginners and experienced users alike.

An that is quite a limatation. How many different paper stocks do you
use? just the one ? It is quite hard to offer a commercial printing
business if you can't provide the customer with a choice of texture. Not
ever one wants a white paper, a smooth paper, a thick paper, a thin paper,
etc. This is quite a limatation.

And Sal, Richard, David, and I have said that Palladio has a
home in the platinum (palladium) printing world. The fact that I have not
needed to try a product that you are a part of, is not to say that what
you do has no home. I feel no need to "play with" palladio. I sure
that you've spent countless hours making a product that works.

Well so have I, as have other handcoaters and there just
is not a call to use Palladio in my daily Noble Printing. Why should I or
any competent hand coater, use the paper if we can achieve all that
Palladio allows, and more, so much more. I don't dismiss the product for
it's lack of quality. We were talking names, Renaisance implies
knowledge of many things, and Palladio requires so little working
knowledge to use. And as Richard also pointed out, If Palladio goes the
way of all the other premade papers, where does that leave it's user that
have no working knowledge of how the paper is prepared?

EJ Neilsen
ejnasn@laplaza.org