Re: Ferric ammonium citrate

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 23:26:13 -0700

>Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:57:14 -0500
>From: Terry King <101522.2625@compuserve.com>
>Subject: Re: Ferric ammonium citrate
>To: Peter Marshall <petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk>,
> "[unknown]" <RICHSUL@ROADRUNNER.COM>,
> "[unknown]" <ALT-PHOTO-PROCESS-L@SKYWAY.USASK.CA>
>
>Message text written by Peter Marshall
>>I wonder if the exact composition of ferric ammonium citrate may depend on
>the
>method of making it. The brown and the green forms have different formulae
>in
>the books of course.
><
>
>Peter
>
>How do you make it ?
>
>Terry

>From my text database (InfoSelect which I highly recommend BTW) with no
attributions:

>Dissolving freshly precipitated ferric hydroxide in a solution of ammonium
>citrate in the correct proportions, then evaporating is supposed to
>produce the brown version. Perhaps the green version could be produced
>by using an excess of ammonium citrate.

I snagged it of the net, probably here from the list, so its author may be
lurking.

My guess is that the green variety in precipitated out of a strong ammonia
hydroxide solution. I'd try (but don't do this at home kids) putting ferric
sufate in ammonium hydroxide it will hydrate, add the ammonium citrate and
it may form a green precipitate, which could then be filtered removing the
sulfur compounds. Just a guess and guessing in chemistry is dangerous.
Most people would not get beyond the strong ammonia part with out serious
equipmen t however.

Dick Sullivan