Re: Contrasty Cyanotypes

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:08:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Ronald Connelly wrote:

> I used paper I had on hand rather than testing from a wide sample. Luck of
> the draw, I guess. I think I'll run over to Daniel Smith this weekend and
> go paper shopping. If paper proves to be the culprit, at least I'll know
> what to use if I ever do want a contrasty cyanotype.

It could be the paper *and* the winter sun. But it's a good idea to build
the light box because, romantic as it is to print by sun, you don't have
the control, or repeatability for any kind of critical testing. Doesn't
matter so much with casual, cheap, easy cyanotype, but if you go on to use
expensive papers and PLATINUM, it can be frustrating.

And remember NOT to get the BLB bulbs, which cost more and give less
light. But the BL bulbs, plain blacklight ultraviolet.

> Oh, and Judy, my male ego now tells me I need a crate of step wedges, but
> I think I'll swallow the ego and just spring for one or two more. Thanks
> for all the good advice.

Ron, if you're connected with a school, see if you can get the department
to order a bunch of Stouffer 21-steps. If you do that on school stationery
(or through a college book store) you can get them for $2.70 each, plus
shipping. I don't know the minimum order, I usually get 50 for my
classes, and that's never enough, next time 100.

Stouffer, Industries, 219/234-5023 and fax 219/232-7989. And no, I don't
own stock.

Meanwhile, on the subject of cyanotype, Cor asked for my list of long
scale papers -- that I don't have, but I do have a list of short-scale
papers, that is, papers likely to work for cyanotype if your negative is a
bit thin, or about right for silver gelatine....

Please be advised that some of these were taken from student results --
so they come with no guarantee. Also mfrs change without mentioning it,
but I'd say the following would be good bets to try:

Jahanot
Parole
Fabriano FA4
Fabriano artistico HP