Re: TMax100 Interpositives?

Karl-Heinz Klang (kontraste@klang.ab.eunet.de)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 18:22:01 +0200

At 07:25 11.04.97 -0700, you wrote:
>I too have used T-Max 100 this way with very good results. I switched to
>HP-5 PLUS when I wanted larger prints. HP-5 is available up to 12x20,
>T-Max only to 8x10. I've been experimenting with the Photo Warehouse
>"Portrait" film (basically FP-4, or so the rumor goes) that is available up
>to 20x24, and I am impressed. Now I need a larger UV tube system!!
>
>I handle the exposure times by adding a 2 stop neutral density filter to
>the enlarger lens. Cold lights can work, with some limitations. If your
>original is in color (neg or transparency) it will "twists" the color/gray
>balance a lot due to it's "blue" nature. I usually get my otherwise unused
>condenser head out for this work.
>
>Another problem with using "camera" film for enlarged negs is that we
>usually use paper developers in order to get the needed contrast and strait
>line curve. This leads to a very short development time, often leading to
>mottled highlights. I develop my film for 5 minutes in normal FILM
>developer, then transfer it to diluted paper developer for 45 seconds to 2
>minutes (depending on the alt-process planned and original film's
>contrast).
>
>Best results with this system seem to be from color transparencies
>(assuming your original scene's contrast is low enough for transparency
>film). I assume this is true because only one enlargement/transfer is done
>(pos to neg) as opposed to B&W or color neg work (neg to pos to neg).
>
>tomf2468@pipeline.com

>>> Do you make the interpositive using an 8x10 camera with this film or with
>>>an enlarger? If you use an enlarger, how do you manage the exposure times?
><SNIP>
>>I make interpositives with an enlarger. My use an old Omega D2 4"x5"
with an
>>Aristo coldlight head. In order to get reasonable (>5 second) exposure
times
>>with TMax, I use an Omega dimmer, which is a rheostat (or some similar
>>device) that in the circuit between the 110v AC source and the light source,
>>in series with the timer.<BIG SNIP>

Hi all,

TMAX 100 is available in 11x14" too. I get mine from Calumet, Chicago, or
B&H, New York.
If you want to have it bigger try those manufacturers of large field
cameras like Ron Wisner or Kanham or Jack Deardorff from DPPI, etc. They
know guys collecting orders for a special size batch .

Karl-Heinz
Karl-Heinz Klang
Einsteinstrasse 17
D-63741 Aschaffenburg