Re: Palladium BWK, warmer tones

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Sun, 04 May 1997 14:07:25 -0700 (PDT)

John writes:

> I have found adding tween to the sensitizer has eliminated runoff for me.
> Do you have any in the sensitizer?

Yes, I am using 1 drop of 10% Tween per every 50 sq. inches of coated
paper. I only get it when the developer is hot. And the truth is I
don't "see" it running off the image like a stream (as I have in other
failed sensitizer experiments). I notice the developer get darker, and
the aforementioned bathtub rings.

Also, the slightly enhanced grain I mentioned in my original message is
so mild that I don't think that it would be a serious discouragement to
anyone.

As for Bill suggestion of using a JOBO, I could see how that might be
useful. I tried a drum for a while (a 20x24 JOBO print drum), but truth
is, for me I find the trays easier to deal with. I have just one
sensitizer formula (no contrast agents) and just one developer formula
(again no contrast agents). This simplifies things enormously (courtesy
of digital negs).

Finally, I'm not sure whether I want the added warmth of the heated
developer or not, just yet. But in case I do, does anyone have good
suggestions for heating the developer up to steaming temp. I have been
putting a brown plastic half-gallon jug in a water bath, but it gets so
soft when hot that it makes me nervous. :)

I am very pleased with not only the results of the BWK, but also the
incredible ease and convenience. Still, as the insatiable experimenter, I
will be trying out a other methods including Dick Sullivan's Ziatype
in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

David

p.s. I was very encouraged by Sil's note on the fumes. If anyone has any
more information on this, I'm sure it would be of benefit to us all.