Re: Keeping Things Hot

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Tue, 06 May 1997 01:32:55 -0300

At 7:20 PM -0400 97/05/05, James Luciana wrote:
>I understand the need to keep things at a constant temperature but -
>number one, I've never found the need for precise temperature control to be
>that necessary with non-silver photo processes, and two, if you do need to

Definitely required for "high-end" color pigment work and many monochrome
commercial applications. Customers who pay a not so small fortune for 20,
30 or more large format prints expect consistency and if you are the
printer you want to remove as many variables as possible. Temperature
control is important if the process you use has to be run at above ambient
room temperature.

>control the temperature precisely, what about items like a phototherm
>temperature control bath used for color processing?

I couldn't live without them.

>If you just need to heat up a developer solution the microwave does the
>trick. If you need to keep it hot, just place the tray of developer into a
>somewhat larger tray and keep that tray full of hot water.

Did that hundreds of times. The problem, especially during winter months in
Northern countries, is that there is a huge gap between tray temperature
and ideal temperature. You have to keep adding hot water all the time...

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada