Re: Keeping Things Hot (It's a Crock)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 06 May 1997 00:15:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 May 1997, E. Carroll Hale II wrote:
> Crock pots are relatively cheap and seem to hold temperatures fairly
> evenly. This works well for our color processing (tube processors) but
> you might find this a bit of a problem for tray processing. Continually
> shifting solutions from tray to crock and back can be troublesome. Still,
> it's a way.

I see crock pots from time to time at the local thrift shop (now that
they're no longer trendy) where they're even cheaper...

I've had a lot of trouble keeping developer hot for silver negatives, as I
needed for one process -- in winter with the darkroom about 65F, it cools
after one negative -- and when your waterbath is a 16 by 20 or even 20 by
24 inch tray and you are a frail weak woman, you don't enjoy the continual
lifting and dumping to change after each... Two coils solved the problem
handily -- taped on so they didn't touch the side of the plastic tray.
But now I'm going to look into the aquarium heater....

Also, when gelatine-sizing paper it's important to keep the gelatine as
liquid as possible, about 140 F, which is more of a problem because the
sheets are bigger, so constant filling & dumping of waterbath too much,
and in any event doesn't do the job because the surface in contact with
the air is so large. In other words, where these days would one get a
waterbed heater? (Definitely passe here in the Village.....)

And since I use a hairdryer over my studio sink, maybe I should get one of
those ground fault interrupters. Where are they?

Judy