Re: Color slides vs negs

Dwight Shackelford (bubbha@hooked.net)
Thu, 15 May 1997 21:57:33 -0700

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Thu, 15 May 1997, David C. Clark wrote:
>
> > www.imagers.com has Pro CD scans for $8 - $12. Since all CD scans are
> > automated, why pay more?
>
> A few years ago I had 35mm slides put on a CD by Kodak (sent to them by my
> local lab). Cost was something like $12 for the (reusable) disk plus $1.50
> per frame.
>
> Is it the larger size that makes these so much more expensive or is there
> some other variable that's over my head?
>
> Judy

It probably has to do with two things, and I'm guessing:

The PhotoCD is standardized at 35mm and there is probably an economy of
scale in production of the standalone equipment that does this. For
larger film sizes you move away from these two "standards", and their
economies of scale.

People shooting larger film sizes are probably going to either be able
to, or are in business and can afford to, spend more money. Charge what
the market will bear!

--