Re: Transparency enlarging

Marc F. Hult (hult@cinternet.net)
Sun, 18 May 1997 21:32:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 17 May 1997 09:34:58 -0600 (MDT), kolar@monsoon.colorado.edu
wrote,

>> From alt-photo-process-error@skyway.usask.ca Sat May 17 08:58 MDT 1997
>> Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 08:40:39 -0600
>> From: Greg Malone <gmalone@roadrunner.com>
>> Subject: Transparency enlarging
>> To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
>> Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"
>>
>> I have a need for enlarging color film transparencies (e.g. 35mm slide or 4x5
>> transparency) to a larger color transparency (e.g. 8x10, 16x20, and larger).
>> I'm having difficulty locating any lab that can make enlargements bigger than
>> 4x5 or 8x10... and especially larger than 16x20. I know I've seen large
>> transparencies at trade shows, but they usually have a white opaque
>> backing...
>
>right.. that's mylar.
>

>>which I don't want. I want a clear normal transparency... large.
>

>Have you tried printing shops? It could be pretty expensive, but
>even Kinko's has large plotters w/ rolls of clear mylar.
>
>You would have to scan in the original and then have it printed out.
>
>I came across this same problem w/ some lithography work I was doing,
>in needing large black and white transparencies. I would try talking to
>printing shops or sign-making shops..
>
>You might also talk to a local fine arts department at your nearest
>university. I know our dept was trying to aquire a plotter that could
>handle 3'rolls of mylar.
>
>Actually, you might also talk to some scientific departments at
>the university. Here, a couple of environmental physics departments have
>these large color plotters for making posters for conferences and they
>charge $30 per print. So, if you found a sheet of mylar of the right
>size, atleast here, I suspect ,you would be allowed to use the printer.
>You might check for similar in your area.
>
>Good luck
>Jen Kolar

Large transparencies meant for display are typically printed on Kodak
Duratrans RA material 4004/4007/4008 (or the comparable Fujitrans
Super FA, or Agfa, and Ilford products) which is clear, translucent,
or white-pigmented Estar base respectively. These are mainstream
Kodak products available from most any large professional processing
lab and are available in standard sizes from 8"x10" up to 74" x 100
feet. These materials are optimized for display purposes and
resistance to fading. Small sizes were/are available from B%H if you
want to do your own printing and RA processing. Get Kodak Publication
E-143. The Kodak fax-back number is 800-242-2424 ext 33.

If you want large transparencies for other than display ("normal clear
transparency ... large") printed directly from a color positive
original, use E6-process Kodak 6121 (available up to 16x20) or Fuji
CDU type II (up to 30x40" materials) -- Get Kodak Publication E-38.
I do 11x14 Fuji CDU (E-6) in a Jobo.

There is also the Kodak Radiance series for display material from
either negative or positive originals using E-3 process, internegative
film, EKTAJet polyester films for use with wide inkjet and so on.
There is precious little that is "alternative" about these processes
... look in your local Yellow Pages or business-to-business
directory.

HTH ... Marc
Marc F. Hult
hult@cinternet.net