Re: Ammonium Dichromate

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Tue, 03 Jun 1997 08:27:25 -0700

Hello, I think I sent the original message directly to Judy rather than
the list by mistake. If I'm wrong (and your reading this twice) my
apologies.

Neither I nor anyone I know has ever "seen a bottle of dichromate explode
or catch fire WHEN IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO?" I can pass on a story from
Tri-Ess Science Supply in Burbank California (were I buy my dichromate).
It seems they had a customer who wanted the dichromate as a very fine
powder. He poured about a pound of it in a pan, and worked it into a fine
powder with a hammer. It did explode, burning him badly. Sparks perhaps??

I thought of this story when working with the "New Cyanotype" process
(which if memory serves requires "finely ground" dichromate). Perhaps
grinding dichromate is best left to Bostick and Sullivan?? I did grind
some (in a porcelain mortar and pesel, and very slowly). I had no problem.

Goes to prove that you have to truely "abuse" most alt-photo chemicals in
order to get in trouble.

tomf2468@pipeline.com