Re: Gum Print and Color Separation

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 05 Jun 1997 13:22:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> But Judy, can you detect any visual difference between the continuous-tone
> tricolor and screened tri-color?

I don't know -- that would depend on too many variables, such as dot size,
dot form, and the number of coats applied. Could you exactly duplicate a
tri-color continuous tone separation? Maybe, maybe not. You'd have to try
it, but my hunch is that at best such tests would be inconclusive -- too
many other variables, including personal esthetics.

Just the basic 3 layers would probably mask any dots, should they show to
begin with. I'm not an experienced tri-color gum printer (yet), but at
this point, I'm prepared to believe that detectable visual difference, if
any, would not *necessarily* be in favor of the continuous tone. (I've
heard maven photographers claim that digital platinum prints are less
wonderful, but farbeit from me to start another flame war.)

cheers,

Judy