Images on Aluminum

Wayde Allen (allen@boulder.nist.gov)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:47:20 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Keith Dowsett wrote:

> Expose the resist with a screened negative for the first colour, then strip
> the unexposed resist and dye the exposed anodised layer.
>
> Remove the resist and apply a second coat, repeat the process above for each
> of the colours and black. After the image is finished treat the plate in
> boiling water.

I actually have an instrument panel in my lab that was made this way. If
I remember correctly, I was told the resist used was simply wax. A
dichromated gelatin might work too (?).

> I know that the dyes are available along with are pre-coated aluminium
> plates. They are used in our electronics laboratory to produce front plates
> for one-off equipment. I don't know where the resist comes from though. If
> anyone wants details of where we get them from we-mail me and I'll pop
> downstairs and ask.

I'd be interested in knowing more details about your process.

I forgot to get the address I had for MetalPhoto at home, but a quick web
search turned up the following URL:

http://www.gerdingcorp.com/

There was a sample image of a plaque made with this process that you might
find interesting.

- Wayde
(allen@boulder.nist.gov)