Re: Van Dyke Problems

George L Smyth (GLSmyth@ari.net)
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:33:34 -0400

Billie S. Mercer wrote:

> I am working with VD's and new to alternative processes. Some prints turn out
> great but others end up washed out by the time they are washed and dried. Are
> there some VD printers who might give me a hand. I have thought it could be
> over fixing, underfixing, chlorine in the water, overwashing. What do you think
> is the most likely cause?

The most likely cause is overfixing. Try about 1/10th the amount of
fixer usually used (24g sodium thiosulfate per liter). Also, don't fix
longer than two minutes.

> Also sometimes I get irregular spots in the emulsion (sort of like a water mark)
> which I think could be where the paper ripples during drying and some of the
> emulsion puddles up. Do you think this is what it could be or some other
> problem.

How old is the sensitizer? If it's more than half a year old it "could"
be going bad. Also, if there's any puddling, I'd suggest that you are
using too much. A thin coat is best anyway, as the thicker coats will
lose a bit of contrast.

Cheers -

george

--