Re: New with POP

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Thu, 3 Jul 97 23:42 BST-1

> Hi, I want to try Printing-Out-Paper, and the formula that I will use is
from
> Steve Anchell, using ferric ammonium citrate, tartaric acid, and silver
> nitrate. However, I have some questions before I start:
>
> 1. Is POP the same thing as salted paper in The Keepers of Light?
> 2. Do you think POP is relatively easier or harder than gum print?
> 3. The above formula is called "warm-tone POP." Is there a cold tone
formula?
> 4. Where can I find more information/instructions on POP?
> 5. Is there any danger with the above chemical. I don't mean the usual legal
> stuff where everything is dangerous, but is there any known danger like
> extremely poisonous or when heated or mixed with such as such will release
> toxic or fatal fume?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> David Soemarko

David

>From the chemicals you list, I would guess what you are talking about is
either the Van Dyke process or a variant of it.

Salted paper is not an iron process.

Printing out Paper can be used as a general term for any paper that produces
an image without development. However it is mainly used for commercially
available silver gelatin papers - which you can still buy.

Keepers of Light is a good start on both Van Dyke and Salted Paper.

Silver nitrate is the nastiest of the 3 things you list. It should be handled
carefully as a solid avoiding breathing the dust and skin contact. Solutions
are less of a problem, but should still be handled with care - if only to
avoid staining. Normal care - gloves and glasses - are to be recommended.

Tartaric acid is used in cookery and the iron compound used to be in some iron
tablets.

If you want cold tones from this type of print I think you might try platinum
toning - but look it up in some old photo books.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/