Re: Echague and Carbondir

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 06 Jul 1997 03:25:55 -0300

At 5:34 PM -0400 97/07/05, Sandy King wrote:

>1) I agree with the concept that this thread should be called "direct
>carbon," not Fresson. Fresson is a proprietary system, and true Fressons
>can only be made by the Fressons in Paris. Not even Luis Nadeau can make
>Fressons,

Wrong. Sandy, you are talking as if you knew more about the process than I do.
>4) It is wonderful that so many are experimenting with different forms of
>direct carbon printing. However, in my opinion no one is going to realize
>any significant financial return from this experimentation unless it be via
>the method of the Fresson family, i.e. offering a direct carbon printing
>service to the public. I doubt seriously that there would be any
>appreciable market for direct carbon papers. If anyone could do it, it is
>Luis Nadeau. He already has the formulas (at least for monochrome papers)
>and knows the coating operation. It would be only a small step for Luis to
>manufacture commercial fresson-like papers, if a market existed. I would
>(as would may others) love to experiemnt with some of his fresson-like
>paper were he to make it avaiable.

There would probably be a small market but the process is very labor
intensive (read expensive) compared to say, platinum paper which requires
only one coat brushed on and then it's ready to use in minutes. Monochrome
Fresson requires several emulsions prepared in advance, coatings, cleaning,
etc. It takes days. It's messy and no fun at all.

>5) Quadrichomie Fresson prints made today are unique in terms of their
>appearance. It is true, as Luis notes, that tricolor carbon is technicaly
>superior to Qudrichormie Fresson, yet the look is totally different. The
>allure of Quadrichoromie Fresson is in the very distinctive appearance of

This is not your day for using French names... Three different ways to
spell Quadrichromie in one paragraph, none of which is right... Why not
call it 4-color?;-)

>the proces and in the fact that the system itself is proprietary. However,
>>from the perspective of aesthetics, my opinion is that Quadrichormie
>Fresson is approprite for only a limited range of subjects. Also, I find

Indeed. And no two color prints are ever alike.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada