Re: Spin coating

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:39:04 -0600

>Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:38:38 -0600
>To: Art Chakalis <achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us>
>From: Richard Sullivan <richsul@roadrunner.com>
>Subject: Re: Spin coating
>
>>A Meyer bar is nothing more than a rod with wire wound around it tightly.
>>The spacing between each winding is what meters the fluid on the substrate
>>being coated. A simple way to spread a consistent amount of fluid (bars
>>are available in various diameters and wire sizes). The larger the
>>diameter of the wire windings the greater the amount of fluid that is left
>>behind as the bar is pulled across a surface.
>>
>>However, look back at the scans again. A Meyer bar would leave a very
>>exacting pattern which you don't see in the scans.
>
>Art,
>
>Sorry I didn't see the follow up message about the meyer Bar.
>
>But too exacting in my mind for spin coating. I saw a definite plowed
field effect.

>One other explanation for this plowed field effect would actually fit into
your idea of two colloids not quite mixed together. If one was slightly
heavier than the other, the heavier one's globules (for want of a better
description) would tend to migrate outward at a greater rate than the
lighter ones, and they could possibly leave trails. Hmm.

>Dick
Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe
NM 87506