Re: Fresson Paper Manufacture

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 00:03:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Richard Sullivan wrote:

> At 12:20 AM 7/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
> Ok, I'll buy that about the cut sheets. However, I would think that any
> paper that they would want to use could be gotten in rolls and I would
> think that "kiss" coating would be more accurate than one at a time spin
> coating, even if the goal was four coats. I hope I don't sound
> argumentative, I don't mean to be, I just like to brainstorm a little.

Yes, Yes, No, Yes

I'll swap the order of my response though.

No argument taken . . . I agree that discussion is healthy and helps
everyone as long as all the parties understand that is it is not meant to
be personal.

Back to coating. Think about what the Fresson lab does . . . 4 color
printing. They coat, expose, develop, coat expose develop ditto ditto . .
. . get the jest. They have to be working on cut sheets, a continuous
roll stock would be impractical.

That is not to say that a coil coating technology couldn't be used for the
production of a monochrome printing paper. The quantity needed for a
paper run would probably be staggering though.

> I have heard from Nanson that a Meyer Bar is a wire wound rod and not one
> with grooves cut in it. Any thoughts on Meyer bar coating?

I think that I actually told you about the construction of a Meyer Bar
(though we both may have). I've tested it with size and my intermediate
coating layer but with little success as the pattern of the bar winds
up in the finished print. Someone with more skill than I might have
better success though.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA