selenium

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 19:42:39 -0600

<x-rich>>Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 21:33:52 -0400

>To: richsul@roadrunner.com

>From: quryhous@midcoast.com (Jonathan Bailey)

>Subject: selenium

>Richard-

>Thanks very much for the info and background research!

>I for one would be interested in trying out this formula! Let me know what

>you decide, whether you stock it pre-made or offer it as a make-it-your-self

>kit. I may well prefer it pre-made (if offered), as I've heard strong

>statements about how toxic powdered selenium can be to handle. (True

>stories???) Can you get the 500gram package and make it availabe if you

>decide against having it pre-pkg'ed in your offerings?

>Any idea how the ammonium thio affects the action of the toner? Why would

>Kodak add this to the toner to begin with? If you have an idea, perhaps it

>would be good to post it to the list!

>Jon Bailey

I think selenium is nasty stuff. I think it falls into the heavy metal category, one of those nasty things that can accumulate over time.

My guess is that the toner may replace some silver and leave some in some state that can be dissolved by the thiosulfate. In other words, you would need to tone and then fix to remove some silver left over from the toning process and Kodak combined the steps in a one-step formula.

Who knows? Just a guess.

I'll get some and try it. if it works for alt-photo, I'll surely put it in the catalog. (Quit calling me surely!)

Dick

<center>

Bostick & Sullivan

Http://www.bostick-sullivan.com