Re: The Gum Project II

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Wed, 09 Jul 1997 00:04:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Richard Sullivan wrote:

> . . .
> I am now curious as to what Art meant by cohesive and adhesive, qualities
> he mentioned in another message?

Conjecture but literally what I said. In a mixture of gum and gelatin the
gelatin tends to add a cohesive quality within the mixture and the gum
arabic adds to the layer's adhesive quality. However, keep in mind that
the gum tends to lower the mixture's gelation temperature and the gelatin
raises it. What I am directing this at has nothing to do with what you
are working in however. It does have significant meaning to adjusting the
gum gelation ratio of my formulations which effects how a specific layer
behaves as the print is developed. As it turns out there are side effects
which effect the natural reticulation and ultimately grain.

I hope this helps. Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA