Re: The Gum Project

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Wed, 09 Jul 1997 00:18:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Alex Nanson comments and I reply
>
> > . . .
> >
> >As an ex surface coating technologist I have always regarded the
> >gum/pigment system as a simple paint, and that for best results the
> >pigment must be thoroughly dispersed in the gum. Could I suggest if you
> >can get hold of a copy, having a look at 'Surfacing Coating Technology'
> >by Henry Fleming Payne. It's probably out of print by now, but if my
> >aged memory serves me correctly in Vol. 1 there is quite a lot on the
> >mechanics of pigment dispersion. It may be of help in your research.
>
> Sounds like a trip to the University of New Mexico to look this one up. But
> it does sound like it has some valuble info in it.

Add 'Hess's Paint Film Defects Their Causes and Cure' to your list of
reading, the cure parts are particularly useful and can alternately serve
as a great cure for insomnia. Another great reference in what you are
embarking upon is 'The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques' by
Ralph Mayer. It will help you pick additives to test which can have
profound effects on the characteristics of your coatings.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA