Re: The Gum Project II

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:20:44 -0600

At 11:29 AM 7/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Dick,
>Did you size the paper. It has always seemed to me that this is a
>crucial factor in gum printing.

I am now using Scotchguard which is not sizing, weird, but intial tests are
showing great promise.

I am not going to work on gum again until next week. I've got some more new
Pt/pd processes coming out and need to finalize some of the research.

Try Scotchguard. I need some polished gum printers to let me know if this
is doing anything for them.

Dick Sullivan

Last year in conjunction with "She who
>is now missing" AKA Judy, I did a series of test prints using various
>brands of gum arabic. The bottom line was that all gums are not alike. I
>kept the pigment to gum ratio, paper, expoure, sizing and development
>all the same and varied only the gum. The main difference seemed to be
>that certain gums were "faster" than other ie allowed more deposition of
>pigment per unit of time. Also some gums had more staining og the
>highlights than other but again this may be a "speed" factor. I did not
>try using the high dichromate to gum ratio that you did and will have to
>try this. BTW, I found gloy to be the easiest to use.
>
>Larry Shapiro

Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe
NM 87506