Re: The Gum Project . . .

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 09:45:54 -0600

Art,

I've got perpetual "eyes bigger than stomach" syndrome. No I haven't gotten
back to my gum project, but will try to steal some time soon. Our annual
Platypus PArty is Sunday and it is consuming a lot of time. Seems as if a
lot of folks are coming since it is the same weekend as Photo Santa Fe and
the opening of the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum.

I've also stumbled upon some significant discoveries in pt/pd printing
which have led me astray. Carl Weese and I are planning a book on pt/pd
printing which will cover most of these new discoveries so we'll all have
to wait for the book. [Tease tease tease!]

Your ideas about the synthetics are interesting. Everyone knows about
polyvinyl alcohol but boy do we have a ton of these polymers to work with
that the old dudes didn't have.

This is all lots of fun. But just think, if Polaroid wanted to produce a
direct carbon material, they could do it in a month. No kidding.

Keep up the good work.

Dick

At 09:08 AM 7/16/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Dick,
>
>Have you had any time to pick up on this again(you mentioned some Pt work
>you needed to finish 1st)?
>
>One area certainly worth checking out are the synthetic substitutes as
>they should be far more consistent. I haven't yet tested my sample of
>Gloy from the APIS, but I will. One product that I have found to work in
>place of gum in my formulations is a litho product by Hanns Eggen -
>Sarstedt (German) called Eggen Agum 'O'.
>
>Sincerely, Art
>

>Art Chakalis
>Columbus, Ohio, USA

Bostick & Sullivan