Re: POP/Albumen Papers

Dennis Klinker (DennisKlinker@denklik.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 22:19:58 +0100

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.970717143535.30431C-100000@falcon.ceee.bldrdoc
.gov>, Wayde Allen <allen@boulder.nist.gov> writes

>On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, FB wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 Doug Munson <albuwrks@bcn.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Keep in mind that vintage albumen prints were almost always wet mounted.
>> >They consequently stretched taught on the surface of the mounting board
>> >when they dried. That stretch, along with using a thin paper with little
>> >surface texture to begin with, is a major factor in producing an albumen
>> >print's characteristic surface quality.
>>

>> The wet mounted papers was glazed in a lot of case with a (heated) cylinder
>> press. The relatively strong pressure smoothed the paper fibers also on
>> the surface.
>>
>> There where sizing/covering methods also (the result was a bit similar to
>> the baryta layer) in the egg-albumen age.
>
>Could you explain a bit more about the "wet mounting" procedure? Was the
>paper coated with albumen, dried, sensitized, dried, exposed, fixed,
>washed, and then mounted before it dried again? Was the Glazing done
>after the paper was mounted and had dried? Could you also expand on the
>"sizing/covering" methods you spoke of?
>
>I'm also wondering about the organic dyes that one often sees in vintage
>prints giving them a bluish or pinkish cast. At what stage in the process
>were these added?
>
>Any good books or recommended references for the albumen process?
>
>- Wayde
> (allen@boulder.nist.gov)

Hi Wayde a book that i can recommend is "The Albumen & Salted Paper Book
By James M.Reilly subtitled The History and practice of photographic
printing 1848-1895 ISBN 0-87992-020-3 published by Light Impressions in
1980 The other is "A Silver Sunbeam" By J.Towler Facsimile 1864 edition
by Morgan & Morgan 1969 Library of Congress cat no 78-88124 Hope this
helps Dennis
--
Dennis Klinker