Re: Sizing Paper for Pt/Pd (was Re: The Gum Project)

James Luciana (luciana@frontiernet.net)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:06:50 -0400

At 11:29 PM 7/28/97 +0100, you wrote:
>>Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:28:05 -0400
>>From: Terry King <KINGNAPOLEONPHOTO@compuserve.com>
>>Subject: Re: Sizing Paper for Pt/Pd (was Re: The Gum Project)
>>To: Tom Ferguson <tomf2468@pipeline.com>
>>Cc: "[unknown]" <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
>>Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"
>>
>>Message text written by Tom Ferguson
>>>
>>While I ran out of "vision" on my Gum/Palladium project, I can't help but
>>be curious. I think I put the palladium down first becuase it made the
>>future registration of the negative easiest! What advantage do you get in
>>putting the palladium down last?
>><
>>
>>Tom
>>
>>While it is claimed that gum platinum prints ninety years ago were made so
>>that the gum could give good blacks to platinum/palladium prints, I have
>>always found it difficult to believe as platinum is the medium that
>>gives the good blacks. That is one reason why I put the platinum/palladium
>>coat on second so that the gum layer will not hide the rich blacks of the
>>platinum. Another reason is to give the gum print delicacy of detail in the
>>highlights, say white lace on a pale background, which is very difficult to
>>achieve with gum by itself. That delicacy would also be obscured if the gum
>>were put over the pt/pd.
>>
>>Terry king
>>

>Same approach also works very well with kallitypes.
>Carlos Gasparinho
>e-mail: nop51076@mail.telepac.pt

Carlos,

Perhaps I'm working with something a bit removed but as far as I can see,
the last thing a good kallitype needs is a platinum overcoat - especially
if it is toned with platinum or palladium. In fact, most kallitypes I've
produced have deeper "blacks" than most platinums.

James