Re: Sizing Paper for Pt/Pd (was Re: The Gum Project)

James Luciana (luciana@frontiernet.net)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:25:11 -0400

At 03:02 AM 7/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Message text written by James Luciana
>>
>Perhaps I'm working with something a bit removed but as far as I can see,
>the last thing a good kallitype needs is a platinum overcoat - especially
>if it is toned with platinum or palladium. In fact, most kallitypes I've
>produced have deeper "blacks" than most platinums.
><
>
>My comments were related to putting pt/pd over gum. As Carlos says this
>also works well for kallitype. It also works for VDB and cyanotype. In fact
>it should also work for silver emulsions but I have not tried it yet. When
>working with silver remember to get all the dichromate out of the gum coat
>first as it is a silver bleach.
>
>Terry King

Terry, my comments weren't in response to what you said but in response to
Carlos addition of kallitype. Of all the processes you mention, that is the
one in which the addition of a platinum overcoat puzzles me. It just seems
unneccessary when it's possible to tone the print and plate it with the
actual metal to the point where it is hard to distinguish it from an actual
platinum/palladium.

Nevertheless, please don't misunderstand. Coat over anything you wish. I'm
not the platinum police.

James