Mail failure

Adminstrator (POSTMASTER@vvdailypress.com)
Sat, 02 Aug 1997 14:10:00 -0700

FROM: Adminstrator
TO: alt-photo-process list DATE: 08/02/97
TIME: 13:11
SUBJECT: Mail failure

User mail received addressed to the following unknown addresses:
DAILYPRESS/DAILYPO/TMP

Philippe Monnoyer wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Could anyone share experience on tri-X processing ?
> I would like to get the finest grain possible with tri-X emulsions.

Philippe,

For me, more important than grain is the tonal quality from a film
developer combination. I use Kodak HC-110 with Tri-X film.

Of course you may want finer grain for another reason.

In comparing films, the grain in Tri-X actually helps produce better
sharpness (in a Pt/Pd print, maybe in other types too, but I can only
speak from my experience.)

Try making prints from Kodak Tri-X and Tech-Pan (or other extremely fine
grain) films. For a subject make sure there are power lines or similar
in the distance. With a loupe these lines will be better resolved on
the Tech-Pan film. However, the print from the Tri-X will have sharper
lines. (Magic?, no, optics.) In fact, in my test, the power lines from
the Tech-Pan negative barely show up in the pt/pd print.

So what? you ask. Why is finer grain of interest when you can use a
larger format camera?

Jeffrey D. Mathias