Re: Ferric Oxalate

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Sat, 02 Aug 1997 14:36:43 -0600

Jeff's observations appear to on target. Let me comment on this topic.

I am in agreement with Mike Ware that we need to dispense with ferric
oxalate. Chemically it is what is called an "ill defined compound" very
similar to ferric ammonium citrate. It is what is known as a polymer and
can take many different chemical forms. It is also difficult if not
impossible in the manufacturing process to control how it will finally turn
out. The process that I use tends to be more predictable than the
traditional method.

Ferric ammonium oxalate and ferric sodium oxalate were first proposed by
Guiseppe Pizzighelli in the 1880's in the form of a platinum pop process
which has been updated by Ware with his POP process and me with my Ziatype
POP process. I am currently working with some other double oxalates, most
notably ferric lithium oxalate as a substitute for the traditional ferric
oxalate. All of the double oxalates work well with minor differences in
characteristics. They can also be made from a powdered grade ferric oxalate
and with some difficulty, from liquid grades due to the initial solubility
factor of the liquid grades - it is to dilute to begin with.

One of the difficulties of using the double oxalates is if the print is not
fully dry before exposure, you will get a raging print out image.

Jeff is right, many other things can trigger the ferricyanide test. In my
opinion the test is totally unreliable as it is too sensitive. Those old
enough to remember, will recall that in the early 80's we marketed a B&S
ferric oxalate test kit. I discontinued it as it gave so many false
positives that it proved worthless -- well kind of, we sold a ton of ferric
oxalate to folks who didn't need to replace their old stuff. EDTA tends to
trigger false positives. In a word, it's worthless as a test.

Ferric oxalate will always have some ferrous in it and I think it is due in
part to the grand design of the universe. As it ages, it builds up ferrous
and gets faster -- thus the older it gets the faster it gets. (Shucks
fellows, don't you wish!)

Classic B&S help line call: Professor shows up to teach Pt/Pd class. Struts
into first class with negative - "yeah we're going to show these pink eared
bunnies how to make a palladium print!" She coats and dries and exposes.
Print is very weak and contrasty, just some dark streaks. Professor is now
pink and turning a livid red. Two more prints. Same problem. Professor goes
to box and gets some of her trusty coating chemicals she brought from home
and makes a print. Voila! A gorgeous image. Professor calls B&S and starts
raging. Melody manages to calm the situation down.

Two things are happening here. One is that the Professor's ferric oxalate
is 6 months old and is building up ferrous and getting as much as a stop or
two faster. The stuff purchased for the class is fresh. Secondly she is
using fresh developer. Developer that has been used before, will build up
palladium salts and will tend to be slightly faster -- and a whole bunch
faster if the print that is being made is a pure platinum print. Pure pt is
much slower than pure pd, that is if it is not developed in a pd developer
where it will become a mostly pd print.

Ferric oxalate tends to have a mystique all of it's own, but in my mind
mostly undeserved. We have dozens if not hundreds of printers who work with
our powdered grade ferric oxalate and get great results. Most good printers
dope it up in one way or another. Some add peroxide, some edta, some oxalic
acid, some add lead citrate or lead oxalate and most, use it straight out
of the bottle. Most liquid grade work well too, but as Jeff points out the
powder will last almost forever. I have some here that is still good and
has our old lables where the description was put on with a rubber stamp,
this predates my 64k tan cased Osborne CPM computer and Epson mx80 printer
that I subsequently started doing labels with, so I am guessing it was
prior to 1980, putting it somewhere in the 17+ years old. It is still
perfect.

Bottom line. Carl Weese and I are working on a book that will explain a lot
of this information which is coming out of our current research --
hopefully around the first of the year.

Dick Sullivan

Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe