Re: Lith film for enlarged negatives

R. Connelly (ronconn@u.washington.edu)
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 12:44:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Wayde Allen wrote:

> Lith film has often been mentioned on this list for making enlarged
> negatives, and I just got a small box from Freestyle to try. I have a few
> questions though. First, since Freestyle sells repackaged bulk film,
> there were no datasheets that came with the box, and I'm wondering what
> safelight can be used? The catalog says simply to use a red safelight.
> Does this mean that the usual OC safelight filter should not be used?

I have used this film with a weak amber safelight with no noticeable fog,
but since fogging is cumulative, it could be affecting the denser areas of
my negatives. I've been meaning to get a red safelight but haven't gotten
around to it.

> Additionally, I'm curious about the developer concentration. Dektol seems
> to be the most commonly suggested developer, but should it be used diluted
> as for paper 1:2 or as I have occasionally seen 1:10?

Dektol 1:2 will produce extremely contrasty negatives. I've used 1:10, but
with Freestyle lith, I've had problems with mottling. I plan to try Ilford
multigrade developer (apparently similar to PQ Universal recommended by
Terry for lith film). I've also bought chemicals for POTA, which I'm going
to try this weekend.

I would be very interested in hearing about any tests you run on this
film, and I will certainly post any of my results. Freestyle's lith film
has two advantages for me: it's dirt cheap and it comes in extremely large
sizes (36"X200'). I need a film with both these characteristics for a
project I'm currently involved in.

Ron Connelly