Re: Lith film for enlarged negatives

Mike Robinson (698201@ican.net)
Fri, 08 Aug 1997 14:33:14 -0500

Dave wrote:

>I went through the archive this morning on the subject and found one message
>where Judy mentioned that Sam Wang suggested using D76 instead of Dektol for
>processing lith film. The message said that it would give better scale. Has
>anyone tried this?

I have been told that lith films have a lot of sulfite in their emulsions.
D76 diluted will provide good tonal scale but with a high level of fogging.

I have had very good results with lith films using Rodinal of various
dilutions depending on what contrast I need. Lately I've been using a low
sulfite, metol only developer that I've formulated.

For my albumen printing negs, I work with TMax 100 original camera negs
process in ABC Pyro for gelatin printing. I enlarge these negs onto lith
film that I reversal process for albumen printing.

Here's the process I use....

ENLARGED NEGATIVES BY ONE-STEP REVERSAL PROCESSING

Here is a technique for making long scale negatives in one-step by reversal
processing lith film. The process is quite easy to do. Density ranges are
adjusted in the first developer through exposure and development. There is
a good deal of lattitude with the process. Density ranges of 1.5 to 2.5
are possible. Use more exposure and less first development for lower
contrast, reduce exposure and increase first development for higher
contrasts. To reduce contast further, flashing or selective burning is
possible

Here are the stepsŠ

1. Enlarge a continuous tone negative onto lith film under red safelight
conditions. Starting exposure f16 @ 5 seconds. (this is for a 5 X 7
original) Depending on the enlarger type, smaller format negatives will
require more exposure.

2. Develop in first developer (see formula below) for 3 - 6 minutes
depending on desired density range, (i.e. contrast)

3. Rinse for at least one minute and then turn on the white light.
White lights remain on for the duration of the processing.

4. Place negative in bleach solution. Bleach for two minutes
Bleach - 1 Litre of water
10g Potassium Dichromate
12 mL Sulfuric Acid

*use proper saftey precautions with the bleach chemistry!*

5. Rinse

6. Place film in clearing bath made from a 5% sodium sulfite solution for 2
minutes.

7. Rinse

8. Redevelop in working strength paper developer until fully developed.

9. Fix for two minutes and wash.

Mike's First Developer formula:

water 750 mL 16 oz
metol (Elon) 2.5 g 37 grains