Oil Problems

Mel Proudfoot (mel.proudfoot@ping.be)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 19:44:01 +0200

<x-html><HTML>
Dear All,

<P>Can anybody give me some advice on how exposed oil prints should look
- should you be able to see detail in all areas?

<P>My experiments so far are not too successful.

<P>I coated some Arches textured paper with a 7% gelatin solution, several
coats. Then sensitised with 3% Pot. Dichromate.

<P>After about 5mins exposure in my printing frame, not in direct sun -
I do live in Belgium - I can see some shadow detail, but nothing in the
highlights.

<P><B>So, the question is should I be able to see highlight detail in a
exposed oil print?</B>
<BR><B>Did I underexpose the print?</B><B></B>

<P>After washing and drying I soaked for 5mins at 20c, blotted off the
surface water and inked with Lithographic Black 1796 (Graphical Chemical
&amp; Ink Co).
<BR><B>Is this SOFT ink or HARD ink or what?</B> If its soft them maybe
the soft ink method would work?

<P>The ink took in the shadows but could get nothing in the highlights,
and found it difficult to build up the image - as I suspect that I had
nothing to build-up.

<P>Any ideas welcome.

<P>brgds

<P>Mel</HTML>