Re: Developer suggestions for Tri-X?

Jadlupp@aol.com
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:19:03 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-10-24 15:52:07 EDT, Willard-Korfhage@deshaw.com writes:

>I had some D-76, so I tried that dilulted 1:1 and the negatives were
>terribly dense - shadows coming in at 0.6, and maximum negative density
>of 2.4

I find this very interesting, as Tri-X in D76 1:1 and T-Max (both 100 and
400) in D76 1:1 are my favorite negatives. My results with Tri-x in the BTZS
tubes (similar to what you are using) gives less than 0.2 film base plus fog,
and usually no more than 1.6 in the full white highlights (unless I am
exposing for the sun). One of the cautions of ABS tubes is that not all the
plastics used for the tubes are fully transparent, and if processing is
carried out with room lights on, the film can fog. This could explain the
0.6 in the shadows, but not the 2.4 in the highlights. Sounds like over
development. The agitation of tubes (and the Jobo) requires less time than
tank agitations.

Prior to working out the times necessary for 1:1 D76, I used 1:3 D76, with
considerably longer times (I don't remember off hand what they were, but if
you are interested, I can look them up). These negatives were very easy to
print on grade 2 paper. The 1:1 dilution negatives have a longer tonal range,
and give me more areas of emotion to work with, but usually require grade
three paper for average subjects.

Don Upp