Re: Experience in FX-1 Developer?

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 06:57:46 -0800

At 11:36 AM 10/27/97 -0500, FotoDave@aol.com wrote:
>I find from Anchell's "Darkroom Cookbook" a formula called "Crawley's FX-1."
>It is listed under high-definition film developer. Has anyone had experience
>using this developer? It says that this developer results in a "soot and
>chalk" tonal scale. Could someone explain what that means?
>
>Also, I have someone mentioned the FX-2 developer? Does anyone have the
>formula to that? Is it related to FX-1 or is it just another developer which
>happens to have similar name?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Dave S

The FX series of developers was devised (developed?) by Geoffrey Crawley
and published in a series of articles for "The British Journal of
Photography". There are several listed in the _B-J Almanac_ for 1961.
FX-2 is described as an "Acutance developer, 80% speed increase" over what
is not made clear. The following is a working solution. Instructions are
also given for a three solution concentrated version with rather specific
(and wordy mixing) mixing instructions. If anyone reeeealy wants them I'll
do the typing.

FX-2 Working solution.
Metol 0.25 gm
Sodium sulfite, dessicated 3.5 gm
Glycin 0.75 gm
Potassium carbonate, crystals 7.5 gm
Johnson's Desensitol Yellow
(dissolved as directed by makers
in 570 ml of water) 3.5 ml
Water to make 1.0 liter
Do not use Calgon or other sequestering agents.
Mix in water which has been boiled for just three minutes and cooled
to about 90F.
Dissolve a pinch of the weighed Sulfite before the Metol, then the
rest of the sulfite and then the glycin.

I'm not really sure what the "Desensitol" is or what its purpose in the
formula is. It sounds like a desensitizing dye but may be something else.
I also don't know if it is still available. There is about a third of a
page given over to a dicussion of agitation technique and its effect with
this developer. It is further described; "This developer is nore
"pictorial" than FX-1, which is designed for maximum resolution and
difinition primarily; FX-2 is far less sensitive to flare, and apparatus
requirements are not so exacting."
Crawley's formulas were popular for much of the 1950's and 60's and can
be found in British Journal Almanacs of those years.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com