RE: Fresson prints

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 00:43:30 -0500 (EST)

Sandy,

I've read similar accounts but with both processes being kept trade
secrets it is difficult to separate conjecture from fact.

Certainly both men were French and lived in the same era and worked in a
similar printing process. Could they have spoken to each other or each
other's employees . . . seems kind of likely to me. That maybe my bit of
conjecture but without facts its anyone's guess.

I have spoken and continue to correspond with a former Fresson printer.
Some sample of Fresson paper he gave me are being analyzed and I plan on
posting the test results and related images when available. Does anyone
out there know of someone who may have experience with the Artigue
materials?

Sincerely, Art

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Sandy King wrote:
> Art,
>
> It is questionable that Fresson either copied or improved Artigue's direct
> carbon paper. My research suggests that the manufacturing process for the
> two papers was very different. Artigue papers appear to have been
> manufactured by a powdering on process which left the pigment on top of the
> gelatin, whereas Fresson papers have the pigment incorporated into the
> coating. During the period of time when both papers were available
> commercially in the early part of this century many preferred Artigue for
> its richer, more velvet like surface quality. In fact Artigue was often
> called "charbon velours" to distinguish it from Fresson, "charbon satin."
>
> Sandy

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA