Re: Service Bureaus for Digital Negs

dmilton@csus.edu
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 21:02:46 -0700

(See post by Jan)

Ah, but not so, says the man in the grey coat. You do *not* have to oil
your precisous trannys; I have a trick. First, a light coat of oil is
necessary to keep halos down, acting something like an anti-halation dye.
Typically, you do not need an oiled tranny if the enlargement is less than
200%. But, have no fear, there is a solution!

The skilled operator of the drum scanner should know this trick:
Once the negative is taped down on the drum, get a can of that compressed
air and blow air between the drum and the negative. This will lift the
negative slightly, eliminating the halo. Just another installment of tips
and tricks (soon at a local bookstore near you).

David P. Milton