Re: UV (BB/Bilirubin) Tubes?

Lawrence Shapiro (leshapiro@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 07 Nov 1997 14:16:56 +0000

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:

> Children born prematurely or those born by C-section sometimes suffer
> from excess bilirubin. The treatment is to expose these infants to UV
> light. Is there a doctor (MD) in the house who can elaborate on this?
>
> Bob Schramm

Although not an expert in neonatology, elevated levels of bilirubin can
be caused by (1) excessive breakdown of blood because of an
incompatibility between the mothers blood and the child's blood; RH
factor disease or (2) dehydration. High levels of bilirubin can cause
serious brain damage. It was found that babies placed near to the
windows (facing the outside) did better than those farther inside the
nursery. Eventually it was understood that the UV part of sun light
could break down the bilirubin in the skin and lower the over blood
bilirubin. Babies used to be admitted to hospital and placed "under the
lights" This was called phototherapy and you probably have gotten hold
of one of these units. The problem with these units was that the baby
had to be uncovered as much as possible but their eyes had to be taped
shut; needless to say this did not make for happy babies. These units
have been replaced by new units called" bili blankets" which is a device
that looks like a blanket and is wrapped around the baby. The blanket
has a light emitting diode that gives off uv rays. No taping the eyes,
parents can hold the baby etc everyone is happy and best of all this can
be done at home.

The only thing that I haven't figured out yet is how can we use this
bili blanket technology in exposing alt photo prints.

Larry Shapiro