Re: Bromoil Printing

Mel Proudfoot (mel.proudfoot@ping.be)
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 00:44:13 +0100

Gene,

Many thanks for the advice. I have read of folks using super coated
papers for Bromoil, but thought that Doc Art would be the one to start
with as its supposed to be easier to ink. In other words I assumed that
the inconsistent results I get were down to my technique, or rather the
lack of it. But you have convinced me its time to try something else,
think I have some MCC 118 around somewhere, so will dig it out and give
it a try.

Do you use an extra soak and drying stage with this paper? I read
somewhere that with super coated papers that after bleaching and fixing
you washed and dried, then soaked at a progressively higher temperature
(starting 20c going upto 30c) and dried, then soaked and inked.

One thought I had was the possible detrimental effect of hard water, we
have very hard water where I live in Belgium. I mix all the solutions
using deionised, but I do wash in running tap water. Do you think that
this could harden the gelatine?

By the way, how can I get hold of your book?

Thanks again for the pointers.

brgds

Mel