Re: Exhibition in Belgium

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 09 Nov 1997 00:01:06 -0400

At 2:40 AM +0100 97/11/09, Mel Proudfoot wrote:
>Luis,
>In La Couleur du Temps Photographies de Leonard Misonne, 1991 Centre
>National de la Photographie, Paris
>ISBN 2-86754-069-0
>They list the print at 1906, and this volume contains several more
>Fresson prints by Misonne - at least I think they are as they have that
>characteristic texture on the reproduction;
>- Aux champs 1909;
>- La Forteresse 1905;
>- Coucher de soleil 1909.

I would be very careful about trusting a photomechanical reproduction to
identify an original print... It's bad enough when you have the original!

Identifying prints is one of the things I do for a living, e.g.:

http://cca.qc.ca/new_Site/general/potje_eng.html

>The thing that intrigues me is that Misonne developed the Mediobrom
>process, yet none of the prints I have seen, either originals or in
>publications, are marked as using this process?

Good question. Where are they? This is a question for PhotoHst. I'll aks.
Doesn't Misonne have descendants still living in Belgium? Surely, the
museum staff would know.

BTW, for the 2 or 3 or you on this list who wonder who Misonne was, José
Ortiz Echagüe (and many others) said that he was the greatest pictorialist
of all times.

>All the ones I have seen are marked either Oil or Fresson. It states
>that he used mediobrome from 1930-1943 and "1931 Obtient un brevet pour
>son "ecran flou-net"".
>
>In Autour de Leonard Misonne it has a description of the flou-net and 2
>pictures of it, afraid my French is not quite up to the description.

I never paid much attention to it as it is not a process per se. It's
basically a filter.

>In the biographie in La Couleur du Temps it states "1896-1900 Utilise le
>procede au charbon, dit Fresson"

We've talked about this before on this list. It looks like the Belgium
sources that wrote the above could use one of my courses, or at least my
Encyclopedia: I don't think Misonne used the Fresson paper 4 years before
it was invented...

>I maybe able to scan the reproduction if you are interested.

Third generation copy? Nah. I'd hardly be able to tell which side was up.
Besides, this may border on copyright violation.,,

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/